Friday, July 4, 2008

2 weeks into it


Lots of great things are happening with Buddy and Jackpot. I'm a little bit behind here. These were taken 2 weeks into the 100 days. Thanks to Mike Thomas for taking all these great pictures!

I should also mention this fact. It's been 112 degrees here for the last 10 days. At night the lows are in the 90's. It's HOT.


Working with ropes and feet

This teaches Jackpot to give his feet
Also makes it easier to pick up his feet
for the farrier

Not to mention in the future
if he catches a foot somewhere
he's not going to panic about it

Buddy is using a long soft cotton rope

See that crazy tarp thing in the background?
It's a teaching device
Buddy rides horses thru that

The rope is also the first step to teaching a horse 
to stand hobbled


It's the big scary rug again!

It gets closer

and closer...

and Jackpot handles it real well

don't forget... both sides


Buddy swings up

and they work on some basics

What a nice pair

It makes me want to adopt a mustang

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like he has come a long way! Its so good to hear from you! Jackpot looks like he is comfortable with Buddy and that is SO important. When was breaking/working down horses I used a rug with cans tied to it - I left it lay over the fence for a couple of hours then did the same thing Buddy did. IT really works well!!! I wish I had the oportunity to come down and watch, but I live a bit to far away! LOL

kdwhorses said...

Looking good! Keep up the great work!

Man 110 degrees!