Saturday, June 21, 2008

The First Days

When I (Mikey) first moved out to this area, I used to frequent a little 5 stool, one room bar that only served beer, just down the road. I went there to listen to the old timers talk. It's a good way to hear all the gossip about where you live. I learned a lot.

Buddy frequently came up in conversation. This being a few years after The Horse Whisperer movie came out. Those old boys would say over and over "That Buddy, he's the real deal. He's a true horse whisperer." Then they'd relate stories they'd heard or times they'd seen Buddy work his magic. 

He makes it look easy. 

The following pictures are from the first few days with Jackpot. I have a slew of pictures and I'll be doling them out over the next few days, so check back to see what's happening. 

I don't want to give it all away, but I'll tell you this much. They're way ahead of schedule. 

I'll let the pictures tell the story now.


Slow easy introduction

In some of these pictures you'll note 
the saddled horse behind them (and a goat or two)

I call them the "comfort animals"

Apparently one goat is particularly taken with Jackpot
and sleeps next to his fence at night


Ahhh there it is
That first touch


Jackpot gets a little scared as Buddy moves on

"But it's ok" Buddy says

It's OK


More reassurance

Introducing the halter

Buddy works slowly and calmly

Jackpot takes it in stride
He trusts Buddy at this point

Big freaky rug on the ground
that's ok


Hanging out like old friends

I call this "getting personal"


Jackpot's not real sure

He says "I don't know, man"

"Whoa! That's a goosey spot there"

Buddy says "Trust me, it's ok"
and Jackpot relaxes


This is where they were the second day
but I want to keep you in suspense

There is more
lots and lots more
coming soon....

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a great name - Jackpot! Wonderful pictures. Buddy really is so quiet and so gentle working with horses - no wonder they trust him and respond to him. It's so terrific to be able to see the process day to day.